Sunday, November 7, 2010

Crunchy Granola!

We have had some pretty productive days here in the burbs since I convinced the man that I would like for us to stay home a few days a week. I usually go along with his get out of the house quests but I need to regroup from the epic road trip.

This week G and the man hammered through a jumbo box of organic granola and at $9 a box that can be a pretty spendy habit. Today it occurred to me that, given my culinary savvy, I could probably make just as good or better granola for a lot cheaper.

I spent a bit of time with some cooking blogs and some cookbooks and with an idea of ingredient ratios, I came up with my own recipe. It really is quite easy and in 30 minutes G and I made enough granola to hopefully, satisfy us for the week.

Recipe after the jump




Coconut, Cranberry Granola

- 4 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries

Pre-heat oven to 350 F and line a roasting pan or large brownie pan with parchment
1. In a large bowl, combine oats, flax, coconut, and pumpkin seeds. Stir and set aside.
2. Combine syrup, honey, oil, vanilla and cinnamon in a medium bowl, mix well.
3. Pour wet mixture into the oats mixture and stir to coat evenly
4. Spread the granola evenly in the pan, place in he oven for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes*
5. When granola is looking golden and dry remove from oven, stir in raisins and cranberries.
6. Cool, transfer to an air tight jar and enjoy!

* cook time may vary depending on the size of the pan

So there it is, my crunchy granola. G ate it for dinner (because he always wants to gobble the things he helps with) and I have a sneaky feeling it won't last all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment